Saturday, July 23, 2005
Time Flys
Thursday I'll leave town for D.C. Saturday I fly to Japan. I've known for months that I was going to Japan end of July, but it still is surprising that it will be so soon. Time flys. :)
Today I went to a family reunion. Was cool to meet many family members that I have never (or at least remember) met. My grandparents there are in their 80's and have really seemed to be getting older faster in recent years. I worry that they won't be here when I return from Japan. When I first graduated college I spent 2 years overseas (mostly in Japan). My great-grandfather passed away when I was in Greece or Italy heading towards home. He was the one I most wanted to talk to when I got home & then he wasn't there to talk to when I got home. He spent several years as a "guest" of the Imperial Japanese army during WWII.
I'm really looking forward to this tour over there (no, not military). I don't expect it to be easy, but I hope it will be fun and I hope that I learn a lot. It will certainly be a much different experience than I've had before. I'll basically be famous. I probably will be the only white guy in town & probably the tallest person in town. I'll also be teaching every elementary & Jr. High student in town. People WILL know who I am & there's no way I'll be able to lay low or hide. Will be interesting.
Today I went to a family reunion. Was cool to meet many family members that I have never (or at least remember) met. My grandparents there are in their 80's and have really seemed to be getting older faster in recent years. I worry that they won't be here when I return from Japan. When I first graduated college I spent 2 years overseas (mostly in Japan). My great-grandfather passed away when I was in Greece or Italy heading towards home. He was the one I most wanted to talk to when I got home & then he wasn't there to talk to when I got home. He spent several years as a "guest" of the Imperial Japanese army during WWII.
I'm really looking forward to this tour over there (no, not military). I don't expect it to be easy, but I hope it will be fun and I hope that I learn a lot. It will certainly be a much different experience than I've had before. I'll basically be famous. I probably will be the only white guy in town & probably the tallest person in town. I'll also be teaching every elementary & Jr. High student in town. People WILL know who I am & there's no way I'll be able to lay low or hide. Will be interesting.
