Wednesday, October 05, 2005

 

Fi Fy Fo Fum

The Japanese aren't the tallest people around. I`m about 6'2" (187cm). I`m taller than the average guy back home, but certainly no giant. As far as I can tell, I`m the tallest guy in town. Last year in a city of 50,000 I never saw anyone bigger than me. However, they aren`t midgets or anything like that. In fact, for the last 3 or 4 generations every generation has been taller than the one before. The change in diet is the main reason. For example, all schools now serve milk at every lunch to give the kids calcium.

Even with a population growing taller the Japanese architects seem unable to conceive of anyone being taller than 6'. Many doorways are lower than my head. The older a building is, the lower the doorway usually is. Buildings that are 100+ years old often have doorways that only come up to my chest.

The Japanese apparently have small feet too. I wear a US size 11.5 (29.5 cm) shoe. Biggish back home, but not exactly the largest size available at any US shoe store. I can`t find shoes in my size in Japan. Most shoe stores here have a max size of 27cm.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?