Saturday, October 15, 2005

 

Partying With A Budhhist Monk

Last night I had a "voluntary" enkai (office party) with the new Board of Education. I only knew 2 or 3 of the people there including the Muikaichi ALT, David. Turns out one of the guys that works at the BoE is the head monk/priest at a local Buddhist temple. In Japan it's often a family job and they sometimes have other jobs in addition to their job as a monk. Head priests enjoy a tax free status and at big and/or popular temples can become quite wealthy. Other than the very close cut buzz haircut, you'd never guess that the guy I work with is a Buddhist monk. He drank beer, chain smoked, talked about what kind of women he liked, and said he loves to gamble.

Anyways, it was a fun and interesting night. We started off at a Chinese Restaurant. After eating dinner and consuming numerous drinks about half of us went on to the "2nd party." That's when things REALLY took off.

WARNING - ADULT CONTENT!!!
We went to what I guess was some sort of karaoke/snack bar. There most of us were served never-ending glasses of whisky and water. Not long after we arrived one of the older guys in the group, a very short and really skinny guy started speaking to David (who was seated next to me). He said something like “small berry” while pointing at himself, then “big berry” while pointing to David. Both of us were pretty confused. Then he sticks out his pinky, points at his crotch, and then points back at himself; making it clear that he was talking about a physical attribute of his, or rather lack thereof. Then he made it clear that he assumed that David was much better endowed than himself. To be honest, this kind of conversation unfortunately isn’t a rare occurrence for “western” men when drinking with Japanese guys. David tried to laugh it off, but then the old guy grabbed David’s crotch, then the old guy unzipped his trousers and put his finger out of the hole. He then proceeded to run around for the next half hour showing everyone, including a group of doctors that entered the place after we did. After that inspired behavior, the old guy spent the next hour or two trying to hit on anything with two legs that moved. This included dancing with female hostess with his head happily on her chest (I DID say he was short), telling David and I that he loves us, trying to kiss David and several other guys, and sexually harassing the Buddhist priest. I won’t go inter detail about what the old guy did to him, but it was enough to get the poor monk to shiver in disgust. Eventually the hostess kindly escorted the old guy out, probably to a taxi that I assume she got for him.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?