Sunday, March 26, 2006

 

Trip to Korea

Saturday I embarked on a trip to Korea. I woke up with a hangover from the goodbye party from the previous night. I made the mistake of drinking several (tiny) cups of sake. I know that stuff gives me hangovers, but I just keep saying yes when people offer it to me. I don’t do it because I love the stuff. The Japanese guys seem to get so happy and look proud when I drink sake and say it’s good. Personally, I’d rather stick to beer. I enjoy it just as much, if not more, I can drink more of it, and it almost never gives me a hangover. I once was able to drink some pre-bottled sake at a sake factory. That stuff was REALLY good.

Since I went to the near obligatory party instead of packing, not much was done in the way of being prepared for the trip. Having done numerous such trips it didn’t take me too long to get my stuff together. I finally got to test out some of my near gear. I have a new travel bag (it’s like a suitcase, but can be used like a backpack when you take out the shoulder straps), a photographer’s vest (love all those pockets), a compass, and some lightweight clothes designed for travelers. Saturday was a beautiful sunny day with a little bit of coldness in the air. It was so nice it almost made me forget about my hangover and lack of sleep. Almost. My first leg of the trip was to drive to Yamaguchi city and leave my car at a friend’s house. It was a real nice drive and I even got to see the SL (steam locomotive) train. It’s a beautiful trail, so much so that it was used as the cover model for a calendar Japan Railroads put out a couple of years ago.

Before I dropped off my car I went to buy a film camera. The battery life and memory limitations make my nice digital camera impractical for a trip like this. I found a used 35mm camera for 2000 yen (roughly $20). Other than a real basic zoom, it has all the features of a disposable camera, but what do you want for $20? 10 rolls of film cost me the same. Not bad.

The 2nd leg of the trip involved me getting on the train to Shimonoseki. I had to change trains at Shin-Yamaguchi station. I had agreed to meet up with another ALT going to Korea there. There was a bit of a hiccup in her plans, which caused me to wait 40+ min, but no big deal. Travel plans, much like battle plans, rarely go without a hitch when put into action. We arrived in Shimonoseki and went immediately to the ferry terminal. The place was packed. We went to the ticket counter to buy our tickets only to be told that all the berths were sold out. That really surprised me. I’ve taken that ferry 5 times before, 4 of those times during national holidays, and never had a problem getting a berth. The other ALT was only going to be able to go for 2 nights & missing 1 night made it not worth going at all for her.

We walked around Shimonoseki a little to think of what to do next and to make going all the way there worth it. The trip back to Yamaguchi took a while. Had another 40+ min layover at Shin-Yamaguchi station. We got to my friend’s house to pick up my car around 9 PM. My friend & his wife were really nice and made dinner for us. On the way out of Yamaguchi I took the other ALT to see Rurikoji. It was the first time I went there at night. Very pretty to see it lit up at night, reflecting off the pond in front of it. We also made a stop in Tsuwano to check out the lit up gates going up the mountainside. The next day we went back to Tsuwano to see it in the daylight. Then I drove the other ALT to the train station in Iwakuni. In all, I spent around 12 hours driving, on a train, or in a train station in 2 days and was still in Kakinoki. I could have tried again on Monday, but I decided that I really needed to stay and work on lesson plans. The vacation days won’t go to waste. There were some positives out of all this. My new gear worked out very well. I figured out how to drive to Iwakuni. A couple of Korean friends that I thought I had permanently lost contact with me e-mailed me saying they’d like to meet up in Korea.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?